Monday, April 6, 2009

SNOW??? On opening day???

It's only to be expected, after all, this is Michigan. It's April 6th and it's snowing. And why not? Mother nature has a sense of humor after all. Today is the first day of spring, at least as it matters to me. The crack of the bat is supposed to open the skies and bring the sunshine down upon the upper Midwest. We should be soaking in the sun and the RBIs. Instead, the Tigers are opening the season in a dome, and the sounds of the game are muted before they can reach the skies above.

The White Sox have already pushed off opening day until tomorrow, if then. If the Tigers were home, no game would be played in Detroit, either. There will be baseball in Toronto, but what kind of a game will it be? Baseball is not meant to be played inside. Did Ted Williams ever hit perfect under a roof? Did Ty Cobb ever slide into third, spikes first inside? Did Cy Young or Bob Feller ever pitch a killer game in a dome? No, uh-uh and absolutely not. Baseball was born and evolved in the daylight under the blue skies of spring and summer.

So, here I am, left with a lackluster opening day. The snow is on the ground in Detroit. The boys will suit up and I will watch my beloved Maggs and the rest of the boys take out the Blue Jays and their pitcher, Halliday. It will happen. I will be sitting on my bed, game tuned in. I will watch my boys start off the season. In a dome. And one thought will invade my every thought. At least I'm not a White Sox fan.

1 comment:

  1. very little snow remains on the ground in Detroit, yay! it's still freezing, boo!

    ReplyDelete