Thursday, April 2, 2009

Opening day jitters

Monday is finally opening day! My boys emblazoned with the Old English D are about to hit the field for real. I'll be watching Maggs, Inge, Miguel, Verlander and the boys take to the diamond for the first time in '09. There have been moves that have scared me, primarily Ol' Man Leyland naming the hot and cold Rodney as closer. But, baseball is back and soon spring will transform in to summer and Michigan will finally emerge from the icy fingers of winter.

I am obsessed with baseball this year. My latest novel revolves around the sport. Most days, I want to crawl inside my own words and the world I have created with a pen on paper. It seems so real to me. I watched spring training games fully expecting my characters to be out there, taking pitches and snagging line drives. Polanco would morph into Cruzado, the antogonist. Smalls, the love interest, would bat near the bottom of the order and occasionally hit a long ball out to right for a game winning RBI. Lawson, the best friend, would be doing interviews on the new MLB network.

That is my world. I can't climb out of it, not that I would want to. I see myself in Kiera, the heroine. Of course, she is written with elements of myself, as most writer's main characters seem to be. But, she is not me. At 28, she is still finding herself. By that age, I was married with two children and happy with my life and the choices that built it. She is a city girl, through and through. Give me a patch of land with another homestead in the far distance and I'm in heaven. But, Kiera is me, or at least a very big pice of me. We both have our ball teams and on opening day, we'll both be cheering them on with all our hearts.

Go Tigers!

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time in five years that I won't be sitting at a desk inside a ballpark on Opening Day, constantly sneaking out to watch the game and not even pretending to work!! :( Go Tiggs, Sox, and Brew!

    ReplyDelete