Sunday, February 21, 2010

Special kid, special diet

I have read quite a bit about the Gluten/Casein free diet (GFCF), and decided a few weeks back to start Roman on it. Almost 70% of parents have found improvements with their children who have autism while on the diet. Eric and I figured it couldn't hurt, so we started Roman on it. A lot of the improvements have to do with speech, which is Roman's primary problem.

This diet is HARD! I've tried to become an expert in reading labels, but there are so many obstacles in the way. Do you realize how many products have wheat or dairy in them? Not only that, but we have to be careful with things like toothpaste and laundry soap. Laundry soap, you ask? Well, when you have a kid who eats his shirt sleeve on a daily basis, you have to be concerned that he's not sucking in the gluten fillers in the soap.

I feel bad that Roman has been relegated to eating chicken breasts and fruit every lunch and rice Chex without milk for breakfast nearly every day. He doesn't seem to be missing the cow's milk, at least. He loves the vanilla soymilk.

Last week, Roman was at my mom's house for a few hours. In that time, he managed to climb on my mom's table and take four bites of her ham sandwich. I realize this wasn't mom's fault. She didn't realize he was such a climber. But, that means that the diet starts over. It takes months for gluten to be washed from the system and to see improvements. Now, we're back to week two since he ate the sandwich. It's just so frustrating.

I am extremely hopeful for the diet, though. I hope that Roman is part of the 70% that is affected by the dietary changes. I have a good feeling about it.

4 comments:

  1. Stay Strong Mama...you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison, you have such an honest, poignant voice as you describe your life with all it's ups and downs. I respect your tenacity in working to get the medical world to listen to you. I have experienced these same things and I encourage you to continue to trust your instincts and don't settle for a doctor until you find one that truly respects you and will collaborate with you. I applaud your unfaltering work to advocate for your children, and I love to hear about your bread baking as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing a great job. Don't beat yourself up too much about the ham sandwich. It's about getting it all out of his system, but it's a cumulative thing too. A couple of bites will really only set him back a couple of days. After Jack's detox of 3 months we tried reintroducing gluten and when we noticed his behavior go down hill it only took a week for him to get back to normal.
    _Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really appreciating Holly's comment as I am the Grandma that was responsible for the 2 not 4 bites of sandwich. I absolutely applaud everything Allison and Eric are doing to help Roman step forward in this world.

    ReplyDelete